[Samba] Samba and sleep

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Oct 19 12:57:04 MDT 2010

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 08:54:38PM +0200, Olivier Arnaud wrote:
> I built a home network storage using a dedicated computer running a Debian
> distro with Samba.
> Since I don't need it always up, I activated the sleep mode feature on
> Debian.
> My problem is that this computer is going to sleep mode, even if Samba is
> connected.
>
> Does anybody here have an idea on:
> - how I can forbid my computer sleep mode when Samba is connected ?

I guess you could check smbstatus, although then the question is: Does
anyone being logged in to a share mean no sleep allowed or should that
only be the case if file accesses are actually happening?

> - how I can allow it back when it is disconnected?

How would it know a client wants to connect later?

Really, servers don't sleep.  Simple as that.  Sleep is for client
machines that only care about when a human wants them to respond.

--
Len Sorensen