[Samba] Our success story with samba4

Lukasz Zalewski lukas at eecs.qmul.ac.uk
Tue Oct 19 09:31:54 MDT 2010

On 10/19/2010 03:53 PM, Ludek Finstrle wrote:
Hi Ludek,
> Hi,
>
> Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 10:12:16AM +0100, Lukasz Zalewski napsal(a):
>> This message is a testament to the great work samba team has done, but
>> its also an encouragement to those of you that still not sure if samba4
>> will work in your environment.
>
>    it's nice to know it. How you cooperate with other systems required LDAP
> accounts and some additional data? As I know there is no complete support
> for external LDAP server which is stopper for us.
>
> Do you mirror user's account to external LDAP or you don't need it
> at all?
Yeah we still maintain openldap backend (which provides core
functionality for the school) - the way i see it is that samba account
information has moved from openldap to s4.
AFAICT (but would like to be proven wrong) s4 allows the storage of
posix account attributes, but i do not think you can add custom schemas
to it.
I suspect this behaviour is probably no different to real AD

Regards

Luk