[Samba] Samba 3.5.6 - configure creates Makefile with errors on Solaris 10

Robert M. Martel - CSU r.martel at csuohio.edu
Tue Oct 19 08:06:49 MDT 2010

Greetings,

I was able to get 3.4.9 to build on my Solaris 10 boxes - but nothing
later.  I've been building my own samba from source for far longer than
I care to admit (because I should know more about samba by now than I
do.)  I've never had so many problems building the source has I have had
the past several months.

I am going to look into the points that Gaiseric Vandal has brought up.
  I am already using Sunfreeware's gcc.

I got past my latest "make" issue by using Sunfreeware's version of Make
rather then the one found in /usr/ccs/bin (which has never been a
problem in the past.)

Following a tip I found at
http://forums.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5445706  I added "-lintl" to
the LIBS option in the Makefile.  Line 25

That got me as far as linking winbind:
-----------------
Linking shared library bin/pam_winbind.so
libintl_bindtextdomain              ../nsswitch/pam_winbind.o
libintl_dgettext                    ../nsswitch/pam_winbind.o
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to
bin/pam_winbind.so
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [bin/pam_winbind.so] Error 1
-----------------

Which has me now stopped at the same place on both my Solaris 9 and
Solaris 10 builds.  On Solaris 9 I have not been able to get a FULLY
working version of Samba with AD support past version 3.2.15.

-Bob

On 10/18/2010 02:25 PM, Joe Cammisa wrote:
> i've had no problem compiling up to 3.4.8 on several solaris10 boxes at
> varying patch levels; but for some reason i can't get anywhere with 3.5.x.
> has anyone else been successful in this regard?  any tips
> appreciated--thanks all in advance...
>
> -joe
>
> On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 2:13 PM, Gaiseric Vandal
> <gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Have you tried the precompiled samba version from sunfreeware.com?  It is
>> only 3.4.2 but should have AD support.     It won't have ZFS support (an
>> issue for Solaris 10 but Solaris 9.)
>>

>> the winbind nsswitch stuff may be require a little work to setup.

Robert M. Martel                 I met someone who looks a lot like you
System Administrator             She does the things you do
Levin College of Urban Affairs   But she is an IBM
Cleveland State University                           -Jeff Lynne
(216) 687-2214
r.martel at csuohio.edu