[Samba] problems with login and browsing on 3.5.4 LDAP PDC

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 07:47:31 MDT 2010

Is your samba server also a WINS server?  That may help browsing issues.

Do you have "smb ports" defined in smb.conf?

The default is
  smb ports = 445 139

I found if I set

  smb ports = 139

some clients would have trouble locating shares or authenticating to
servers.

wiki.samba.org should have the registry settings required to let Windows
7 machines join on a Samba domain.

Also, make sure that you do have correct group mappings for the key well
know windows groups  (including Administrators, Domain Admins, Users)
     # net groupmap list

I would concentrate on the XP machines first since they don't need the
registry changes.

Also, the windows diagnostic tools (netdiag, dcdiag, nbtstat ?)  may
help you determine which domain controller and master browser the client
is using.