[Samba] Unable to compile Samba 3.5.6 on Solaris 9 - more winbind issues

Robert M. Martel - CSU r.martel at csuohio.edu
Mon Oct 18 08:01:49 MDT 2010

Greetings,

No helpful hints have been offered to my winbind issues with Samba 3.4.9
and Solaris 9 I started trying to build Samba 3.5.6.  Using gcc 3.4.6.
I added "-lintl" to the LIBS option in the Makefile which cleared some
earlier linker errors involving libintl_gettext, libintl_textdomain  and
libintl_bindtextdomain being undefined, except with winbind:

Linking shared library bin/pam_winbind.so
libintl_bindtextdomain              ../nsswitch/pam_winbind.o
libintl_dgettext                    ../nsswitch/pam_winbind.o
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to
bin/pam_winbind.so
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [bin/pam_winbind.so] Error 1

I have not been able to get any version of Samba beyond 3.2.15 to build
on Solaris 9 with support for Active Directory.  Any later 3.2 version I
see run-time errors with winbind which is why I decided to give 3.5 a try.

Robert M. Martel                    Pushing myself and this old machine
System Administrator                Burning fumes
Levin College of Urban Affairs      and what's left of my dreams
Cleveland State University
(216) 687-2214
r.martel at csuohio.edu