[Samba] Procedure number out of range

Lars Andersson lars.andersson at vindeln.se
Sun Oct 17 06:26:17 MDT 2010

Hi,
I've recently upgraded our Samba 3.2.5 to 3.5.5 from Debian testing repositary. This because of a future Windows 7 roll out. Installation and all the server stuff seemed to go fine (all deamons started) but when some of our (not all) users try to log on they get an error message saying "Procedure number is out of range". There is no difference between the XP clients that users can log on to and those who users can't. All of them is updated with the latest patches and Service Pack 3. I've tested both accounts that can log on and accounts who can't on the same XP client. My conclusion is therefore that it isnt a client issue. Any ideas anyone?

Samba version is 3.5.5 running on Debian Squeeze.

My smb.conf further below

[global]
 # NT DOMAIN settings
  workgroup = BRINKEN
  netbios name = vkskolinux1
  obey pam restrictions = yes
  time server = yes
  allow hosts = 127.0.0.1 10.203.0.0/16
  dns proxy = no
  logon script = netlogon.vbs
  logon path =
  logon home = \\%L\%U
  os level = 65
  server string = vkskolinux1 fil- och skrivserver
  wins support = yes
  local master = yes
  domain master = yes
  preferred master = yes
  domain logons = yes
  admin users = it
  remote announce = 10.203.130.255/BRINKEN 10.203.132.255
  remote browse sync = 10.203.130.255 10.203.132.255
 # Uncomment log level for debugging (level 1-100)
   log level = 1

  invalid users = bin,daemon,sys,man,postfix,mail,www,games
  security = user
  add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd %u
  add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -g 1007 -c Klient -d /dev/null -s /bin/false %u
  delete user script = /usr/sbin/userdel %u
  delete user from group script = /usr/sbin/deluser %u %gmax log size = 100
  passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
  smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
  add group script = /usr/sbin/groupadd %g
  delete group script = /usr/sbin/groupdel %g
  passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n .socket options = TCP_NODELAY
  hide dot files = yes
  encrypt passwords = true
  passdb backend = tdbsam
  log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m