[Samba] Permitting guest printer access with ADS security

Madhusudan Singh singh.madhusudan at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 15:57:20 MDT 2010

I am using security = ads to authenticate users to my Samba server.

I want to allow guest access to Samba print server at the same time.

This is my smb.conf:

[global]
workgroup = <workgroup name>
realm = <realm name>
server string = %h server (Samba, Ubuntu)
security = ADS
map to guest = Bad User
obey pam restrictions = Yes
password server = <password server>
pam password change = Yes
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:*
%n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
unix password sync = Yes
syslog = 0
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 1000
printcap name = cups
disable spoolss = Yes
show add printer wizard = No
domain master = No
dns proxy = No
idmap uid = 500-1000000
idmap gid = 500-1000000
template shell = /bin/bash
winbind separator = +
winbind use default domain = Yes
hosts allow = 10.0.0.0/8, 127.0.0.1
hosts deny = ALL

[homes]
comment = Home Directories
invalid users = root, bin, daemon, nobody, named, sys, tty, disk, users
valid users = %U
write list = @fileusers
read only = No
create mask = 0700
directory mask = 0700
browseable = No
browsable = No

[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /var/spool/samba
guest ok = Yes
printable = Yes
use client driver = Yes
browseable = No
browsable = No

[hpprinter]
comment = HP Printer
path = /var/spool/samba
create mask = 0700
guest ok = Yes
printable = Yes
browseable = No
browsable = No

--------

However, I keep getting requests for authentication when I try to print to
smb://servername/hpprinter.

Cups printing on the server works perfectly.