[Samba] how to prevent copying programs on local harddisk from samba share

Michael Heydon Michael.Heydon at jasonwindows.com.au
Thu Oct 14 01:02:33 MDT 2010

> How can I prevent copying programs from samba shares to a local drives and run it from there? It is any possibility to secure programs and run it from samba shares only ?

This would need to be implemented on the client. As far as samba is concerned there is no difference between copying a file and running it. I've never used it myself, but Windows can be locked down to only run specific programs.

Out of curiosity, what does the program do that your users want to be able to write to it?

Michael Heydon