[Samba] samba4 with fedora 13

Michael Wood esiotrot at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 07:06:20 MDT 2010

I have copied my reply to samba-technical.  The Samba4 HOWTO still says:
"While Samba4 is still in alpha release we would encourage you to
report both your successes and failures to the samba-technical mailing
list on http://lists.samba.org"

On 6 October 2010 13:17, suresh k <ksuresh136 at gmail.com> wrote:
> hi,
>
> iam new to samba4.
>
> followed steps given in
> wiki.samba.org/index.php/*Samba4*<http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4>

Do you mean this?

http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/HOWTO

> but iam not able to complete the installation. if anybody is successful in
> samba4 pls provide step by step procedure.

The HOWTO should work (except for the rsync part at the moment), but I
suggest you download the recently released alpha 13 tarball instead of
using GIT.

> os : fedora 13
> package : samba-4.0.0alpha11 package

That's pretty old.  Try the alpha13 tarball.

> not having dns server

You will need a working DNS server.

> step1
> *Downloaded samba-4.0.0alpha11 package*
>
> step 2
> *compile samba4*
>
> in Make quicktest   ALL OK msg came
>
> step 3
> *install samba*
>
> step 4
> *provision samba*
>
> is it must to have a DNS server for samba, if not how to do. pls help.

Yes, you need a DNS server.  The HOWTO explains basically how to configure it.

--
Michael Wood <esiotrot at gmail.com>