[Samba] Values set in Include files and SMB.CONF

Andy Liebman andyliebman at aol.com
Wed Oct 6 05:59:57 MDT 2010

  Hi,

I use "include" files to define samba shares for individual users, so
that each user has his/her own smb.username.conf file. Makes maintenance
straightforward when you have hundreds of users. :)

Now I want to use "include" files for another purpose.  My many servers
all have a standard smb.conf file, but I want to be able to customize
the global settings on some servers by creating a file called
"smb.custom.conf" and referring to this file in the global section of my
main smb.conf.  The smb.custom.conf file will either be empty, or have
custom values listed for some parameters. My question is, if I have one
set of values in the global setting of my smb.conf file (for example,
"use sendfile = yes" or "max xmit = 32768"), and then I put different
values for those same parameters in an "include" file, will the values
from the "include" file be the ones that get applied?

When I run "testparm", indeed I see the values from the include file and
NOT from smb.conf.  I just want to make sure there isn't some hidden
trap in what I am doing.  Good advice welcome.

Andy Liebman