[Samba] subfolder sharing with "valid users"

Keun Song keunhosong at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 5 00:58:34 MDT 2010

Hi,

I'm currently using the following smb.conf file so that everyone can browse any subfolder without a login prompt under /engineering. (I have neither AD-based nor Winbind-based authentication now)
Even, as long as the UNIX permission is 777, anyone can write onto some folders somewhere down under this folder.

[global]
   workgroup = Engineering
   netbios name = smb1
   security = share

[interface]
   path = /engineering
   available = yes
   browsable = yes
   writeable = yes
   guest ok = yes
   readonly = no

Now I need to tighten the per-folder security so that I grant access for select users per folder.

Under the /engineering folder, I'd like to have different combinations of security:

/engineering/electrical (want this readable by everyone)
/engineering/electrical/ee140 (want this to prompt for username & password per user)
/engineering/electrical/ee150 (want everything under this browsable and readable by everyone)
etc.

That is, how can I make it such that the top-level folder (/engineering) is still readable (w/o login prompt) by everyone and only some select subfolders prompt for login/password?

Thank you for your answer in advance!

- Kevin