[Samba] samba 3.4.7 as NT4 domain member and win9x

Chris Weiss cweiss at gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 13:06:44 MDT 2010

On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 1:32 PM, Dale Schroeder
<dale at briannassaladdressing.com> wrote:
>  Chris,
>
> Since Win 95/98 cannot be true domain member

well not directly, but setting user-level access control and providing
the domain does allow it to provide the domain with the username when
accessing other systems.
win98 is providing the the domain and username, as I see it my logs:
check_ntlm_password:  Checking password for unmapped user
[WILSON]\[LATHE1]@[lathe1] with the new password interface

>, perhaps try adding to [global]
>    map untrusted to domain = Yes

sounds desirable, and will probably fix a separate issue where I just
had to fully qualify domain\user in a script, so i added and restarted
all services, however for this win98 issue I don't see any difference,
and still have these 2 in the logs
check_samstrict_security: WILSON is not one of my local names
(ROLE_DOMAIN_MEMBER)
check_ntlm_password: winbind authentication for user [LATHE1] FAILED
with error NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE