[Samba] More strangeness with ZFS and Samba

Daniel Müller mueller at tropenklinik.de
Mon Oct 4 12:13:53 MDT 2010

On Mon, 04 Oct 2010 12:07:49 -0600, CJ Keist <cj.keist at colostate.edu>
wrote:
> A new problem now.  Running Samba 3.5.4, on Solaris 10 with zfs.
>
> Issue with Microsoft Office 2007:
> User opens up a .xlsx, then closes the file (Not Excel).
> Then user reopens the .xlsx file and now Excel says the file is
> read-only.  But permissions on the file have not changed!
> Only fix is to exit out of Excel and restart, then user can open that
> file just fine.
>
> The issue also looks to be tied to how big the file is.  Small .xlsx
> files do not exhibit this behavior. But files over 500K does it all the
> time. Time doesn't matter either, user can close the file and then come
> back to open it an hour later and it will still say read-only.
>
> Here is my conf file. issue is with all shares, I'm including just one
> atmos share below:
>
> [global]
>      workgroup = ENGR_DOM
>      server string = Samba Server
>      interfaces = e1000g0, lo0
>      bind interfaces only = Yes
>      security = DOMAIN
>      passdb backend = smbpasswd
>      client NTLMv2 auth = Yes
>      map untrusted to domain = Yes
>      log level = 1
>      log file = /var/log/samba/logs/log.%m
>      name resolve order = host bcast
>      unix extensions = No
>      max open files = 10000
>      load printers = No
>      domain master = No
>      dns proxy = No
>      lock spin time = 3
>      veto oplock files =

/*.doc/*.DOC/*.docx/*.DOCX/*.xlsx/*.XLSX/*.xls/*.XLS/*.ppt/*.PPT/*.pst/*.PST/*.mdb/*.MDB/*.ldb/*.LDB/*.vsd/*.VSD/*.dwg/*.DWG/*.cdr/*.CDR/
>      strict locking = No
>
>   [atmos]
>      comment = ATMOS
>      path = /XKA2/academic/Atmos
>      valid users = +Atmosfac
>      force group = Atmosfac
>      read only = No
>      create mask = 0770
>      force create mode = 0770
I tried in my shares setup:
inherit permissions = NO
inherit acls = NO

force create mode = 0660
force directory mode = 0770

and did set the sticky bit for the group directory.
This worked for me with office 2007 files

Daniel