[Samba] samba 3.4.7 as NT4 domain member and win9x

Chris Weiss cweiss at gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 09:52:53 MDT 2010

I'm certain i'm just missing something and haven't hit the right
search terms yet, however, the terms I've been trying all lead to
others with the same problems and no solutions at all.

My network is quite legacy, but has been working:
nt4 PDC and BDC
several samba file servers, various revisions
DOS, Win95, Win98, NT4, 2k, xp clients

I have an ubuntu 9.04 32bit samba 3.3.2 server that works fine but i
wanted to have more ram
installed to newer hardware, ubuntu 10.04 x64 samba 3.4.7, copied my
smb.conf, sync'd data, shut off old server, renamed new to the name of
the old, rebooted, stopped smbd and winbind, deleted secrets.tdb,
joined domain, started samba and winbind, restarted nmbd.  Same as
I've done a couple times before when migrating to bigger storage and
hardware.

Everything seemed to work, XP client, nt4 clients, all the wbinfo
command (user lookup, etc).  All Win98 clients prompt for IPC$ passwd,
no matter what user.  Same users on any other OS works.  I do have
"lanman auth = yes", as it was required on samba 3.3 as well.

log.lathe1 shows
check_ntlm_password: winbind authentication for user [LATHE1] FAILED
with error NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE

and a bit before that:

[2010/10/04 10:20:53,  6] auth/auth_sam.c:416(check_samstrict_security)
  check_samstrict_security: WILSON is not one of my local names
(ROLE_DOMAIN_MEMBER)

this last one seems to be key to me, I don't think i should get this
message, and I didn't used to.
I only get the message when connecting from win9x clients.

If I could upgrade the OS's I would.  Needs to be win9x for the
software for the old CNC stuff.