[Samba] ACL from win2k doesn't work

Rashkae rashkae at tigershaunt.com
Sun Oct 3 21:50:47 MDT 2010

On 10-10-01 05:56 AM, Mauro Destro - Impel Systems Srl wrote:
>  I'm trying to setup a simple standalone Samba server in a win2k
> network without domain.
>
> I've followed some basic howto on the net, users can see shares and
> can save, modify and delete files and folders.
>
> My big problem is the security tab: i can't add any user because the
> screen where i can see users list ask me for a password.
>
> With an admin user and password (the same that i use to log into
> share) it tells something like "credentials supplied conflict with an
> existing set of credentials"
>
> If I don't insert user and password it tells "access denied".
>
> Also I can't modify existing acl.
>
> Logs are with debug level = 3 but no error is present.
>
> Thanks

I'm not an expert, so someone may have to correct me.  I'm fairly
certain that if you expect a client to modify the acl of files on the
server, said client will need access to the users on that server, and
the only way a client can get a list of users from a server is to be a
member of that server's domain.  If you want to keep your network domain
free, you will have to modify permissions on the server, not from the
Windows client.