[Samba] workgroup name length limitation in samba 3.5.6...

S Krishnah, Vijay (Vijay)** CTR ** vijay.s_krishnah at alcatel-lucent.com
Tue Nov 30 02:48:38 MST 2010

Hi,
      I face problems trying to input workgroup name lengths more than 15 characters in smb.conf and run nmbd. I am using samba 3.5.6 (source3 version of nmbd in 3.5.6 package).

      This was faced by a user earlier as per link http://www.mail-archive.com/samba@lists.samba.org/msg22773.html  and solution provided by Jeremy Allision as per link http://www.mail-archive.com/samba@lists.samba.org/msg22776.html  dated 2003.

     Yet in 3.5.6 version still the namelength restriction for workgroups seems to be there and nmbd can take only workgroups with name length upto 15 characters.  Could somebody point out where I may be erring?

Thanking You and Regards,
Vijay