[Samba] Samba settings for public and HOME

Günter Kukkukk linux at kukkukk.com
Tue Nov 30 07:24:01 MST 2010

Am Dienstag 30 November 2010, 08:03:26 schrieb Daniel Müller:
> You are missing  the path= in your [homes]

the [homes] section does not need an explicit path specification
if the users (*nix) home dir should be used.
For specific setups one can specify a path here.
See "The [homes] section" in 'man smb.conf'

> EDV Daniel Müller
>
> Leitung EDV
> Tropenklinik Paul-Lechler-Krankenhaus
> Paul-Lechler-Str. 24
> 72076 Tübingen
>
> Tel.: 07071/206-463, Fax: 07071/206-499
> eMail: mueller at tropenklinik.de
> Internet: www.tropenklinik.de

When "security = user" is used and anonymous share(s) should
also be made available, the following must be used:

Inside the [global] section set
     map to guest = bad user
     guest account = <some_unix_user> The default is "nobody". This *nix
user must exist and is then used for all file operations. So this user must
have file systerm permissions on all anonymously exported share paths.

Inside an anonymously accessible share definition set e.g.
[mytest]
       guest ok = yes

Have a closer look at 'man smb.conf' for _all_ the above used settings.

To check the current/default definition of some smb.conf settings,
e.g. let's say "guest account", use the following:

testparm -vs 2>&1 | grep 'guest account'

Cheers, Günter