[Samba] networking problem/Domain not available

Brian D. McGrew brian at visionpro.com
Sun Nov 28 14:05:42 MST 2010

On Nov 28, 2010, at 12:48 PM, "Robert S" <robert at spotswood-computer.net> wrote:

> On Sunday, November 28, 2010 01:47:02 pm Peter Trifonov wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>> The problem is when I do this, none of the workstations (XP based) can
>>> find
>>> the domain controller any more (domain not available). I switch the
>>> cables
>>
>> you should check network connectivity.
>> Try pinging the servers from each other and client computers.
>> There may be also firewall issues.
>>

>> With best regards,
>> P. Trifonov
>
> I did ping the PDC server from the workstation when running Linux and even got
> a lease from it. All the lights on the new switch indicate everything is good,
> and the PDC server can access the Internet. Reboot the workstation into XP,
> and the workstation can't find the PDC (domain not available).* Since I can
> have two way traffic with the new switch in place, unless someone can point
> out a flaw in my logic, it can't be the switch.
>
> The switch is also a standard 5 port home switch (not my choice of equipment
> BTW), and does not include a firewall. And if I remove the switch, and go back
> to the original connection, with NO other changes (workstation and server), it
> works. I also considered it could be a bad cable, since I do use a new cable
> with the switch to connect the server to the new switch. But if it was a bad
> cable, how can I get a lease through it (and ping)?
>
> I should add that the original 3 switches are all different models, but none
> have any firewall capability.
>
> * Since I can't log in, I can't easily test the XP side of things to see if I
> get a lease, and I'm not in charge of the workstations, so getting the local
> admin password is not a simple matter. Politics...
> --

So if I understand correctly, using the old switch, everything is good???

If that's the case, put the old switch back in place and login to all your machines and do the ping test.  It should be good.  Now, don't logout, just change the switch and look at the connection status for all your machines.  Are they still good?  Can you do the ping test now and is it good?

-b

Sent from my iPad.