[Samba] Samba Intermittent Browsing Issue from Windows 2008 R2 box

Hamish McCullough hamish at gekko.net.nz
Sun Nov 28 04:12:22 MST 2010

Hi All

I have a really strange problem which I need some help with

I will give you the background

Samba 2.2.12 installed on Red Had Linux Advanced Server 2.1

Basically I have upgraded a client from a Windows 2003 TS box to a Windows
2008 R2 TS box. The 2003 box had approx 30 concurrent users logged on and
could browse to samba no problems at any time.

Once I installed the Windows 2008 R2 box and got all users connecting there
connections to the samba drive would constantly be prompted with a username
and password box – I changed the lanmanauthentication level and this fixed
that however the issue I am having is strange.

You can have 5-8 users connected to the 2008 r2 ts box and browse the samba
shares fine, any more than that and randomly out of the users some will not
work and keep getting prompted by username/password box. Only way to fix
appears to be restart samba service which sometimes fixes the issue.

I have absolutely no idea how to fix this – I have spent weeks on this and
have Microsoft looking into it with no luck

Unfortunately because its running 2.1 Advanced Server I can’t run samba in
AD mode with Kerberos as I don’t have the install cd’s so server mode is
only possible.

Should I look at upgrading Samba – if so will the latest version run on 2.1
Advanced Server?

Samba config below

#======================= Global Settings
=====================================
[global]

# workgroup = NT-Domain-Name or Workgroup-Name
   workgroup = *********
   netbios name = ****
   server string = Samba Server
   password server = 192.168.100.12
   hosts allow = 192.168.100. 192.168.1. 10.1.1.
   security = SERVER
   encrypt passwords = yes
   load printers = yes
   printcap name = /etc/printcap