[Samba] VPN/WAN Domain members

Christian Rost cr at rocon-it.de
Thu Nov 25 02:27:43 MST 2010

Hi,

the problem you're describing is common to such setups. IMHO the following will help you in your setup:

1. raise the VPN timeouts
This should prevent your VPN to go offline.

2. install a PDC/ BDC in each location
Distribute distribute domain specific information to all locations, so you don't rely so heavily on your VPN. The samba-howto gives you information about the setup (Chapter 5. Backup Domain Control -> LDAP Configuration Notes).

For this setup you need a Linux-box in each location. Depending on the needed performance/ size of your locations/ ... , it can range from something like a "Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH with OpenWRT"  up to a small server.

Cheers,

Christian
Dipl.-Ing. Christian Rost
roCon - Informationstechnologie