[Samba] Can Constant Failed Connection Attempts Crash a Server?

Wed Nov 24 13:47:48 MST 2010

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 03:03:33PM -0500, Andy Liebman wrote:
> You suggested previously this might be a kernel bug, or that the
> failed attempts might be using up some scarce resource (memory? open
> files? what did you have in mind?) Assuming we can reproduce this
> issue, what do you suggest would be the best way to start debugging
> it?  I don't think running Samba with more logging or debugging is
> going to help.  Suppose we can continually run vmstat and write the
> results to a log file.  Anything else you can think of?

That is one. Another one is to run "top" in batch mode and
send stdout to a file. From there you might monitor swap
space and see if used swap increases. If it does, see what
process grows.

If you have a constantly growing smbd, send it the

smbcontrol <smbd-pid> pool-usage

message and send us the output.

Volker