[Samba] Files and folders not viewable (hidden)

Marc Franquesa mark at l3jane.net
Wed Nov 24 06:41:28 MST 2010

Hi, I have a strange problem with some folders shared by Samba.

In my home directory (share by samba) I have these files with this
permissions (only samples, it also happens with folders):

-rw-r----- 1 mark Domain Users 0 2010-11-24 14:30 a
-rw------- 1 mark Domain Users 0 2010-11-24 14:30 b

When I connect to USER Share (home) from any host (Windows or
Samba/Linux) as the correct user:

Samba version 3.2.5
PID     Username      Group         Machine
20557     mark          Domain Users  nexus
(::ffff:192.168.149.211)

Service      pid     machine       Connected at
mark         20557   nexus         Wed Nov 24 14:30:47 2010

I only can see the 'a' file (the one which has read permission for the
group). I change the group to another one I cannot see the file in the
directory list despite being the owner.

Only if the file is owned by my group and has read permission for the
group the file appears in the share. Despite being hidden I can read the
file (or enter the folder) if I write the full path to it.

I don't know if is a misconfiguration (I attach smb.conf file). I
reviewed it and I havent found anything strange, and the /home/
filesystem is mounted without ACLs or strange things.

As you can see in the configuration I use LDAP in both severs and
clients to do the mapping between UNIX users and Samba Users. (Despite
the Domain Users name I'm not in a NT Domain, it is a single WorkGroup).

Any suggestions?

--
Marc Franquesa