[Samba] Issues with default ACLs in created objects not including parent's owner: old bug or setup issue?

Christian PERRIER bubulle at debian.org
Mon Nov 22 23:16:48 MST 2010

I have recurrent issue with ACLs on a server that's running samba
3.2.15 (this is a Debian lenny server and we're not ready, yet, to
upgrade it...we just upgraded samba from 3.2.5 to 3.2.15+security fixes).

If a "foo" directory, owned by "joe", has "joe and "jim" authorized to
write to it through the filesystem's ACLs (and both in "foo" default
ACL), and "joe" create a "bar" subdir in this directory.....then "joe"
himself is not added to the default ACL of "foo/bar". He can still
write to "bar" (as he's the directory owner)....but any file or dir
created by *jim* in foo/bar will not have write access for "joe".

I seem to remember this was an issue fixed....somewhere along 3.4 or
3.5 development cycles. However, I couldn't find any relevant bug
report. Probably because my life is not driven by Bugzilla and I'm not
good searching with it.

So, would anyone remember about this being a bug.....or could that be
a local setup issue and some mysterious stanza missing in our setup?