[Samba] After host name change: Failed to add user ... with error: The account's primary group is invalid

Holger Rauch Holger.Rauch at empic.de
Fri Nov 19 09:16:38 MST 2010

Hi,

I've got Samba 3.5.6 (SerNet packages) running on Debian Lenny. User information is stored in LDAP via ldapsam:editposix. I changed both the host name and the workgroup name as I had to move the host to a new internal subnet.

I noticed that a new sambaDomainName entry was created (containing a new sambaSID). Unfortunately, the Administrator user still contains both the old sambaSID and the old sambaPrimaryGroupSID and thus does not have any rights. I tried to perform the following steps:

net -U Administrator%myadminpass -I localhost rpc user add myuser

and got the error message mentioned in the subject line. Consequently, the other steps failed:

net -U Administrator%myadminpass -I localhost sam createdomaingroup grmyuser
net -U Administrator%myadminpass -I localhost sam addmem grmyuser myuser

What's the correct procedure to get the Administrator account working again after a host name/workgroup name change so that I can continue to add more users?

Thanks in advance for any hints & kind regards,

   Holger

THE standard software for Aviation Authorities

IMPORTANT NOTICE / WICHTIGER HINWEIS
This communication contains information which is confidential and may also be privileged. It is for the
exclusive use of the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient(s) please note that any
distribution, copying or use of this communication or the information in it is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this communication in error please notify us immediately by email or by telephone and then delete
this email and any copies of it.
Diese E-Mail koennte vertrauliche und/oder rechtlich geschuetzte Informationen enthalten. Wenn Sie nicht
der richtige Adressat sind oder diese E-Mail irrtuemlich erhalten haben, informieren Sie bitte sofort den
Absender und vernichten Sie diese Mail. Das unerlaubte Kopieren sowie die unbefugte Weitergabe dieser
Mail sind nicht gestattet.