[Samba] Win7 SLOW printing

Ryan Suarez ryan.suarez at sheridanc.on.ca
Tue Nov 16 12:30:58 MST 2010

On 10-11-16 01:44 PM, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 01:27:43PM -0500, Ryan Suarez wrote:
>
>> Ok, it looks like this was the cause of the delay.  As soon as I
>> disable windows firewall on this client, the errors disappear and
>> jobs start printing immediately.  We have bring your own laptops
>> (with their own image) here at the college.  I suspect this is the
>> same cause of their delays.
>>
>> Could someone please shed some light what samba uses this connection for?
>>
> This is the insane Windows print spooler design, where the server
> connects back to the client to do change notify.
>
> Samba tries to do the same - look at spoolss_connect_to_client()
> in rpc_server/srv_spoolss_nt.c - maybe we should have an option
> to disable this.

Thanks Jeremy!  Found this link that describes it in more detail:
http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Developers-Guide/devprinting.html#id2561672

We have alot of these clients that we don't control.  Bring your own
laptop, where firewall is enabled by default, is prevalent here at the
college.  I think disabling this server-side is more palatable than
fixing every client.  I'm just concerned what functionality we'll lose
in regards to point and print and printing in general.  Thoughts?

-Ryan