[Samba] Browsing Network Places

Brian McGrew brian at visionpro.com
Fri Nov 12 20:44:00 MST 2010

Good evening all...

I know this question has probably come up a thousand times before but I
can¹t find my answer and I¹ve searched the net high and low, been through
the books I have and even took a trip through the Samba source code and I¹m
not finding my answers, so maybe someone more with Samba and Active
Directory knowledge than I can help!

I¹m running 3.5.6 on CentOS 5.5 and my configuration file is inline below.
The Samba server itself is working.  From Windows, Mac or Linux (smbclient)
I can connect to the UNC just fine (\\server\share) and read/write with no
problems.  But when I pop open Network Places I can¹t see the Samba server.
All the other Windows servers I have show up in Network Places including a
Netgear NAS and a printer that has a SMB share on it.

Some details about my network:

... I am not using WINS.
... NetBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled.
... DNS is configured correctly and the fully (un)qualified server name can
be resolved.
... I can ping everything from anywhere in all directions.
... Adding disable wins and/or disable netbios to smb.conf does not make any
kind of a difference.
... Net ads join was successful, net ads testjoin work and all the wbinfo
commands work just fine.
... I¹m using Winbind of the Linux box to pick up AD users and uid¹s and
that¹s all working.
... I have a single AD 2008 domain controller.
... The domain passes dcdiag.
... I would prefer not to run a WINS server if I don¹t have to.
... Yes I know it can take a long time for the computer browser to update
:-)

You might see some strange stuff in my configuration file but the intended
use of this particular machine is to be one of many in a cluster; I just
haven¹t gotten that far yet.  Remember, it¹s working, I just can¹t browse
it.  So, any help that anyone can offer is greatly welcomed.

The quicker I can get this working, the better off I¹ll be!

Thanks,

-brian

[global]
    workgroup = 8950HIX