[Samba] tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME

Ayo Adeyeri Ayo.Adeyeri at infohedge.net
Thu Nov 11 07:26:10 MST 2010

Bump

-----Original Message-----
From: samba-bounces at lists.samba.org [mailto:samba-bounces at lists.samba.org] On Behalf Of Ayo Adeyeri
Sent: Wednesday, November 10, 2010 7:17 PM
To: samba at lists.samba.org
Subject: [Samba] tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME

Let me start off by apologizing for this rambling post.  I have been working on this problem all day and have not gotten anywhere.
This is my first time working with samba and I have been tasked to set up a share that does not require a password for access.  I have been tinkering with the configuration file but I cannot get it to work.  Here is my current smb.conf file that I have:

global]
        security = share
        workgroup = somedomain.com
        guest account = murex
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log

[Murex]
        comment = Murex pickup
        path = /apps/murex/pickup
        writable = yes
        read only = no
        guest ok = yes

[testdir]
        comment = Troubleshooting area
        path = /sambatest
        writable = yes
        read only = no
        guest ok = yes
        guest only = yes

When I try to access it either of the shares (Murex or testdir) using smbclient, I get the following:
# smbclient //localhost/murex
Password:
Domain=[SOMEDOMAIN.COM] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.28-0.el5.8]
Server not using user level security and no password supplied.
tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME
#
Not sure why it is stating that no password was supplied because I entered a password.  I tried both the root password since that is what I was logged in as and the password for the user murex.  The murex user is a valid unix account.  I also created a samba password for the murex user (I used smbpasswd -a murex).  This was done recently but it did not change anything.

I can see the shares from our windows clients but when I try and open up a share (by double clicking on it) or map a drive to the share I get the following errors in the log files:
[2010/11/10 18:49:35, 0] smbd/service.c:make_connection_snum(1003)
  '/apps/murex/pickup' does not exist or permission denied when connecting to [Murex] Error was Permission denied
[2010/11/10 18:49:36, 0] smbd/service.c:make_connection_snum(1003)
  '/sambatest' does not exist or permission denied when connecting to [testdir] Error was Permission denied

I also see these same errors in the log files when I run the smbclient command from above.  The unix permissions on these directories are set at 777.

This is driving me nuts because I think it has got be a pretty minor configuration error but I can't figure out what it is.  Does anyone have any ideas of what I am missing or doing wrong?

Thanks,
Ayo Adeyeri
InfoHedge Technologies LLC
747 Third Avenue, 4th Floor, New York, NY 10017
Ayo.Adeyeri at infohedge.net<mailto:Ayo.Adeyeri at infohedge.net>
Office: (212) 531-5835

This e-mail message, and any enclosures, is intended only for the persons to whom it is addressed, and may contain confidential information. Any use, distribution, modification, copying or disclosure by any other person is strictly prohibited. If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete this message from your computer. InfoHedge disclaims all responsibility from and accepts no liability whatsoever for any incorrect, misleading or altered information contained herein, or for the consequences of any unauthorized person acting, or refraining from acting, on any information contained in this message.