[Samba] idmap trouble

Michael Adam obnox at samba.org
Wed Nov 10 14:38:25 MST 2010

Hi Brian,

the id mapping configuration hat changed (again) between 3.2 and
3.3. The "idmap domains" setting has vanished.

Could you try and use the id mapping config from your 3.0 setup,
i.e. simply this

> >         idmap backend                   = rid:KPAK=500-100000000
> >         idmap uid                       = 500-100000000
> >         idmap gid                       = 500-100000000

instead of this:

> >         idmap domains = default, domain.utah.edu
> >         idmap config default: default = yes
> >         idmap config domain.utah.edu: range = 500-100000000
> >         idmap config domain.utah.edu: backend = ad
> >         idmap alloc backend = tdb
> >         idmap uid = 500-100000000
> >         idmap gid = 500-100000000

Er, btw, can it be that "KPAK" should actually read "DOMAIN" in
the first section? ;-)

Then, for debugging, please paste the output of
"wbinfo -n DOMAIN+gregorcy"
I should list the sid of gegorcy. I expect the rid to be 2433.

What I think happened is that your 3.5 config fell back to
tdb id mapping  because the domain "DOMAIN" did not match the
domain name "domain.utah.edu" that you gave in the idmap config...

The recommended setting would be to have a tdb backend default
idmap range and explicit and disjoint ranges with rid backend vor various
domains like this:

idmap backend = tdb
idmap uid = 100000-199999
idmap gid = 100000-199999
idmap config DOMAIN : backend = rid
idmap config DOMAIN : range = 200000-299999

(see man idmap_rid)

But you should not change your config in that way
if you are updating a production server, since it
would change the uids/gids that users are accessing the
disk with, and so, permissions and ownerships would be broken.

Hope this helps,

Michael