[Samba] Samba 3.5.6: can't follow symlinks on shares

Konstantin Boyandin temmokan at gmail.com
Sun Nov 7 23:21:32 MST 2010

08.11.2010 11:11, John H Terpstra writes:
> On 11/07/2010 10:53 PM, Konstantin Boyandin wrote:
>> Samba version: 3.5.6, OS CentOS 5.5 64-bit.
>>
>> The problem: I have a share with symlinks leading outside the share.
>> After mounting the shared resource (cifs), I can't proceed through
>> symlinks (permission denied).
>>
>> Setting options
>>
>> follow symlinks = yes
>> wide links = yes
>>
>> for the share doesn't change Samba behaviour. Could someone enlighten me
>> on how to handle this?
>
> Do not use symlinks, rather use bind mounts.

The idea is to make the navigation through symlinks uniform, both in ssh
shell and via Samba share, without breaking anything that works on the
shared directories and relies on symlinks existence..

Correct me if I am wrong, you propose changing all the symlinks to
'mount -o bind' mounts?

Is there documented way to traverse symlinks on share?

Thanks.
Sincerely,
Konstantin Boyandin