[Samba] AD member server - getting a user's name (GECOS)

Robert M. Martel - CSU r.martel at csuohio.edu
Thu Nov 4 14:31:24 MDT 2010

Greetings,

My odd question for the week - I've been unable to figure out if/how to
do this.  Given an Active Directory user ID, is there a way to get the
user's real name?

During testing of our Samba AD member servers I have seen user's given
names appearing in the log files - is there a way that I can pull that
for my own use?  Our site uses loginIDs for users that give no clue as
to their identity, it would be nice to turn those IDs into the user's
actual name so I know who is doing what.

I've been playing with wbinfo which seemed like a good place to start,
but no joy there.

I'm looking for GECOS info, not the user's UID or GID.

Thanks,
Bob

Robert M. Martel                    Pushing myself and this old machine
System Administrator                Burning fumes
Levin College of Urban Affairs      and what's left of my dreams
Cleveland State University
(216) 687-2214
r.martel at csuohio.edu