[Samba] Samba setting read only on document on share

sub_woofer tqzelijah at yahoo.co.uk
Fri May 28 08:25:12 MDT 2010

Hello all

How do you allow someone in a particular group (i.e. the group writers in my
example below) other than the creator of a file (the owner) to set a
document as being read only? This is the only problem I am facing with my
samba shares at the mo which I need to fix, so any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Hope this makes sense!

The relevant samba snippet is below:-

[Share]
	browseable = no
	writeable = yes
	path = /home/Share
	comment = Public Folders
	valid users = "Server\administrator",@"Server\Writers"
	public = yes
	inherit acls = yes

When ls -l in the Share dir a files permission may return something like
this:-

drwxrwx---+  2 Kris   Writers  4096 2010-01-13 18:14 Test

If any further information or clarification is needed please let me know!

Thank you for any help in adv!

SW.