[Samba] "Folder specified is currently mapped using a different user name and password" error

Robert Mattson R.Mattson at latrobe.edu.au
Mon May 31 01:21:16 MDT 2010

Hi Phil,

Windows will hold onto and remember the username/pw <-> server mapping to allow you to access multiple shares with the one credential set. You can use the command 'net use' to see the list of cached credentials that your machine is holding onto. You can use the command 'net use \\server /delete' if you see a mapping to \\server\IPC$, or 'net use \\server\sharename /delete' if you see \\server\sharename in the list.

If I want to map using two usernames at the one time, I map one to \\server, and another to \\192.168.0.1 as windows uses the machine name as the connection mapping identifier.

Rob