[Samba] FW: smbd *not* breaking hard links when saving files

Hugo Connery hmc at env.dtu.dk
Fri May 28 08:31:16 MDT 2010

Hi Tim et al.,

Yes,  I can see that the new behaviour would seem like an 'optimization',
possibly especially for large files, in that it saves the unlink operation.

was (quasi): unlink, open(write), write data, close
now is (quasi): open(write, truncate), write data, close

However, this old behaviour enabled my rather nice hard link copy (cheap!) local
backup.

The question is, is the old type of behaviour still available?  (config option,
compile option etc.)

Regards,  Hugo

I have no idea how to answer your question, just gotta say that is pretty brilliant.  I thought that was a bug...but it's a feature!

Cheers,

TMS III