[Samba] problems after upgrade from 3.3.2 to 3.4.0

Thomas Gutzler thomas.gutzler at gmail.com
Wed May 26 04:53:01 MDT 2010

Hi Christian,

On 26/05/2010 4:44 PM, Christian PERRIER wrote:
> Quoting Thomas Gutzler (thomas.gutzler at gmail.com):
>> Hi,
>>
>> After upgrading one of my samba servers from ubuntu jaunty (3.3.2) to
>> karmic (3.4.0) I cannot access the shares any more.
>
> The default for "passdb backend" changed between these versions (from
> "smbpasswd" to "tdbsam") and, as you don't explicitly set it in
> smb.conf, I'd gues this might be the reason for this.
>
> Try adding:
>
> passdb backend = smbpasswd

Thanks for your reply. I am aware of this change but thought I wasn't
affected because both smb.conf (PDC and other samba server) had
   passdb backend = tdbsam
already set. Yet another setting not listed by testparm.

Out of curiosity I tried setting it to smbpasswd on fintlewoodlewix;
didn't make a difference.

Here is the full smb.conf:
[global]
   workgroup = OBEL
   server string = %h file server
   dns proxy = no
   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
   max log size = 1000
   syslog = 0
   security = domain
   password server = 130.95.136.177
   encrypt passwords = true
   passdb backend = tdbsam
   invalid users = root
   unix password sync = no
   passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
   passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
map to guest = bad uid
guest account = nobody
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY
[data]
   comment = valuable not backed up research data
   writeable = yes
   path = /home/fintlewoodlewix/data
   create mode = 0644
   force create mode = 0644