[Samba] Interdomain trust with different WINS servers

Juan Asensio Sánchez okelet at gmail.com
Wed May 26 03:35:05 MDT 2010

Hi

I am trying to stablish a relation between two different Samba domains. Each
domain has two PDCs, all they are WINS servers, and the two domains are in
different subnets. They are configured to use LDAP as the user/group/machine
database. First, I will create the relation, being DOM1.CORP the trusted
domain, and DOM2.CORP the trusting domain, so in a server of DOM1.CORP, I
create a user this way:

DOM1-S1$ /usr/bin/perl -w /opt/ldap/smbldap-tools/bin/smbldap-useradd -W -t
5 'DOM1.CORP$'
DOM1-S1$ smbpasswd -i DOM1.CORP$

The two commands are OK, and the domain account is created in LDAP, in
ou=Computers. I can see the machine in "getent passwd". Now, in a server of
the trusting domain, i run the command:

DOM2-S1$ net rpc trustdom establish 'DOM1.CORP'
[2010/05/26 11:21:03, 0] utils/net_rpc.c:rpc_trustdom_establish(5647)
  Couldn't find domain controller for domain DOM1.CORP

Well, I know this is normal because servers of DOM2 don't know anything
about DOM1. I suppose I will have to add the entries of the two servers of
DOM1 in lmhosts, and the entry for the own domain, but i can't get it to
work. Now, my lmhosts is this:

127.0.0.1         localhost

1.1.1.1      DOM1-S1
1.1.1.2      DOM1-S2

1.1.1.1      DOM1.CORP
1.1.1.2      DOM1.CORP

But the previuos command gives error again. Even if I run nmblookup querying
the servers or the domain, i get errors:

DOM2-S1$ nmblookup -R -U localhost 'DOM1.CORP'
added interface ip=1.1.2.1 bcast=1.1.2.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
querying DOM1.CORP on 127.0.0.1
name_query failed to find name DOM1.CORP

Is this the right way to stablish the relationship? How should I add the
entries to the lmhosts file?

Regards and thanks in advance.