[Samba] Samba + CUPS
Damien J Dye
damien.j.dye at googlemail.com
Mon May 24 16:49:37 MDT 2010
From: Nick Couchman [mailto:Nick.Couchman at seakr.com]
Sent: 24 May 2010 22:58
To: Damien J Dye; 'Ryan Suarez'
Cc: samba at lists.samba.org
Subject: RE: [Samba] Samba + CUPS
>> the whole point of using CUPS is to get rid of the broken drivers in the
>> first place
>> all PPD options are passed though to the windows client
This may just work, except that the PPD file provided by Ricoh does not
contain the option for the Document Server functionality on the copier, so I
can't send jobs to the "Hold Queue" or document "mailboxes" on the copier.
I'm going to hit Ricoh up about that one - seems like something that should
be in the PPD file.
for printer queue holding managed by cups so can be deployed on any printer.
have a look at the following cups options
Holding Jobs for Later Printing
The -o job-hold-until=when option tells CUPS to delay printing until the
"when" time, which can be one of the following:
* -o job-hold-until=indefinite; print only after released by the user or
* -o job-hold-until=day-time; print from 6am to 6pm local time
* -o job-hold-until=night; print from 6pm to 6am local time
* -o job-hold-until=second-shift; print from 4pm to 12am local time
* -o job-hold-until=third-shift; print from 12am to 8am local time
* -o job-hold-until=weekend; print on Saturday or Sunday
* -o job-hold-until=HH:MM; print at the specified UTC time
users can then login to cups and release their jobs from a web interface.
unfortunately am not aware of the document "mailboxes" concept so I am not
able to advise on that one.
More information about the samba