[Samba] Upgrading Samba

Dale Schroeder dale at BriannasSaladDressing.com
Mon May 24 15:39:42 MDT 2010

On 05/24/2010 3:46 PM, Steve Wolfe wrote:
> I have a fairly old Samba server, 3.0.25, on CentOS 4.8.  I'd like to update
> it to something more modern, so I grabbed the "Enterprise Samba" 3.5 RPMs
> for RHEL, and went to work on a test machine.
>
> After upgrading via "rpm -U ./*.rpm", starting nmbd and smbd, I can no
> longer log in to the domain, I get:
>
> netlogon_creds_server_check failed. Rejecting auth request from client
> FREESCALE machine account FREESCALE$
>
> While /etc/samba/smbpasswd remains seemingly untouched from the upgrade, I
> have to delete and recreate each account before it will let me log in to the
> domain.

If you were using smbpasswd as the passdb backend, note that the default
changed to tdbsam in version 3.4.0.
http://www.samba.org/samba/history/samba-3.4.0.html
To continue to use smbpasswd, you would have to declare it in smb.conf.
     passdb backend = smbpasswd.

> Since there are about a hundred workstations (and more accounts), I'd like
> to make this a more seamless transition... any tips for a newb?

You could also export your existing smbpasswd to tdbsam.
http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/passdb.html#pdbeditthing

        Account Import/Export

The |pdbedit| tool allows import/export of authentication (account)
databases from one backend to another. For example, to import/export
accounts from an old |smbpasswd| database to a /|tdbsam|/ backend:

   1.

      |root# |*|pdbedit -i smbpasswd -e tdbsam|*

   2.

      Replace the /|smbpasswd|/ with /|tdbsam|/ in the /|passdb
      backend|/ configuration in |smb.conf|.

Dale