[Samba] Upgrading Samba

Steve Wolfe bafenator at gmail.com
Mon May 24 14:46:37 MDT 2010

I have a fairly old Samba server, 3.0.25, on CentOS 4.8.  I'd like to update
it to something more modern, so I grabbed the "Enterprise Samba" 3.5 RPMs
for RHEL, and went to work on a test machine.

After upgrading via "rpm -U ./*.rpm", starting nmbd and smbd, I can no
longer log in to the domain, I get:

netlogon_creds_server_check failed. Rejecting auth request from client
FREESCALE machine account FREESCALE$

While /etc/samba/smbpasswd remains seemingly untouched from the upgrade, I
have to delete and recreate each account before it will let me log in to the
domain.

Since there are about a hundred workstations (and more accounts), I'd like
to make this a more seamless transition... any tips for a newb?