[Samba] Samba PDC [3.5.3], Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, Temporary local profile for a specific user

Tom Reijnders reijnders at tor.nl
Mon May 24 07:25:35 MDT 2010

L.S.,

I searched the internet and though there were lots of problems with
profile, I haven't found a solution to my specific problem.

  - Samba server running on OpenSuse 11.1 with a ldap backend acting as PDC.
  - I have a new Windows 7 pro 64 bit client that has been added
succesfully to the domain (with the required registry patches)

I do not want to use roaming profiles, so logon path is empty in smb.conf.

I can login to the win7 machine using an ordinary Domain User account,
and a Domain Admin account and a local profile is created, like expected.

However if I want to login using MY account, which is a Domain admin
account, I get a local temporary profile!! I don NOT get an error on the
Windows 7 machine. (Not on screen, not in the event log).

I went as far as reinstalling the Win7 machine, making sure that no
reference to the user name of my account is made, so there is NO local
user with my login name.
Still this happens.

I still am convinced that it has to do something with the settings of my
ACCOUNT on the server, but I can't find out how or where.

I made sure that the sambaHomePath, sambaHomeDir and sambaProfilePath in
my LDAP account is empty. I compared my LDAP settings with the
DomainAdmin account that is working, but to no avail.

Does anyone have any idea how to debug this?

Thanks!

Regards,

Tom

Tom Reijnders