[Samba] Oplocks - when do they help

Sun May 23 08:11:23 MDT 2010

On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 01:21:41PM -0400, Fred Kienker wrote:
> I've been setting up Samba servers for years under the impression
> (delusion) that Samba can't handle multiple users on Access .mdb files
> correctly with op locks turned on. Has this changed in the 3.5.x branch?

Well, it should work the same way (good or bad) it does
against a Windows server. Once a second opener comes in, the
oplocks should be broken anyway. If I remember correctly in
the past I have seen hints by Microsoft how to turn oplocks
off in Windows server for shares that host Access files, so
this problem might not be samba-specific and/or fixed in
recent Windows.

Volker