[Samba] samba and bind9 problem

Michael Wood esiotrot at gmail.com
Sat May 22 15:55:20 MDT 2010

On 22 May 2010 17:37, Aleksandar Nasuovski <aleksandarn at sbb.rs> wrote:
> I'know that, maybe the problem is ALPHA version of samba4 and lack of
> documentation.

Well, of course it is alpha and the documentation is a bit rough, but
I think it works pretty well anyway :)  And to be fair, the DNS
updates have more to do with bind9 than Samba.  I got it to work by
reading bind9 docs and using strace and reading logs.

Unfortunately it seems it is more difficult to get write access to the
wiki than it is to get Samba4 working ;) otherwise I might make some
small improvements to the HOWTO.

> If i test the nslookup with pc witch is not domain memeber resolving work
> wery well. :D

Your nslookup tests should work from all hosts, whether or not they
are joined to the domain.  This is just DNS and has nothing really to
do with Samba.

I have now managed to get dynamic DNS updates working.  Putting the
environment variables into /etc/default/bind9 had no effect
whatsoever.  This is what I did instead:

Made sure I had the 'include
"/usr/local/samba/private/named.conf.update";' statement in the zone.

Added the following to the "options" section (in Ubuntu this is in
/etc/bind/named.conf.options.)

        tkey-gssapi-credential "DNS/my.domain";
        tkey-domain "my.domain";

Convinced named to use /usr/local/samba/private/dns.keytab.  (I did
not find another way to convince named to use it):

$ sudo ln -s /usr/local/samba/private/dns.keytab /etc/krb5.keytab

Made some changes to appease apparmor.  (This may or may not be
necessary on your machine.  You might have to do something similar for
SELinux if you use that):

/etc/apparmor.d/usr.sbin.named:

  /usr/local/samba/private/named.conf.update r,
  /usr/local/samba/private/dns.keytab kr,
  /var/tmp/DNS_102 rw,

I'm not sure if the DNS_102 one will be correct in general, but that's
what my instance of bind9 wanted to use.  If it doesn't work for you,
try running named through strace or increasing the debug level of
named using the -d option.

I think that was all.  Unfortunately I didn't have /etc on the VM
under revision control from the beginning.

Now my samba_dnsupdate works, but it's very slow to actually do
anything, because one of the things it does first is read from
/dev/random.  I'm running it on a virtual machine with not much
entropy, so it has to wait for quite a while before it gets enough
from /dev/random.  After that it does the update.

--
Michael Wood <esiotrot at gmail.com>