[Samba] samba and bind9 problem

Michael Wood esiotrot at gmail.com
Sat May 22 07:23:02 MDT 2010

On 22 May 2010 03:38, Aleksandar Nasuovski <aleksandarn at sbb.rs> wrote:

> Here is output when i start the samba4 :
> ../dsdb/dns/dns_update.c:249: Failed DNS update - NT_STATUS_IO_TIMEOUT
> ../dsdb/dns/dns_update.c:278: Failed SPN update - NT_STATUS_IO_TIMEOUT

Do you get any more useful information if you start Samba with higher
debugging level (e.g. -d4)?

Does bind9 log anything about it?  e.g. in /var/log/daemon.log or
/var/log/messages?

> Here is output of command on the client :
>       What in the first lookup tell me Server UnKnown?

That's because the reverse DNS is not configured.  nslookup tries to
resolve the IP address of the name server to a name.

I set up the reverse DNS to avoid this sort of thing, although it's
not strictly necessary for Samba to work.

I am also having trouble getting the dynamic DNS updates to work.  The
HOWTO seems to lack something in that section, but Samba still works
fine and I can join a Windows machine to the domain etc.

--
Michael Wood <esiotrot at gmail.com>