[Samba] Spurious data in file retrieved from Windows share via Samba

Robert Dodier robert at infotility.com
Fri May 21 17:26:53 MDT 2010

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 4:42 PM, Michael Wood <esiotrot at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ah, so you're using smbmount or mount.cifs or something like that to
> get access to the Windows share?

Yes, I'm using mount -t cifs and then reading the files from within
the Linux file system.

> Presumably you can get logs on the Linux side if necessary?

Yes, I can get logs or anything else on the Linux side.

> Do things look better if you use smbclient to copy the file?

No, when I use smbclient I get spurious data as before.

I see now that the file delivered by smbclient has unmistakable
Windows stuff in it -- MSFT_CliFormat, MSFT_CliProperty and the like.

A working hypothesis at this point that the problem lies on the Windows
side. I can't fix it, but is there a way to work around it?

best

Robert Dodier