[Samba] samba.org has been revised!

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Wed May 19 14:52:45 MDT 2010

On 2010/05/19 11:10 (GMT-0600) Robert LeBlanc composed:

> I really love how all this criticism comes from someone who's website looks
> like something out of the 90's.

Your opinion. It's different from all the cookie cut mousetype magazine pages
hosted on the web on purpose. Deviation from normal can be fun. Too, some
people prefer boring old pages to dead URLs.

> Animated gifs are 20 years old now! The

Yup.

> design on your pages suck,

I don't see an URL to _any_ of your web design fruit.

> it is not easy on the eyes,

Great description. :-p There's more than one design, including non-design,
and subject matter, and a lot of it all. Content is king. Boring is OK.
Eyestrain and back strain are neither, but routinely induced by pages like
Samba's new design.

Exactly what do you mean by "easy on the eyes"? To me, that means legible,
with lines neither too short nor too long, and without standard web
distractions like advertising and sidebars.

> I'm not drawn to what
> is important.

You can't find the middle? Maybe your window is too big.

It's either all important, or none, or something in between. Read and decide
for yourself. What's important to you may be different than what's important
to anyone else.

> Yes I can read it (the text is legible), but just barely
> because the layout does not flow and I can't find anything. There is more to
> design than just the text px (which I highly discourage as well). Using too
> many fonts, having unbalanced portions of the page, etc.

> Please before you go slamming someone else's work, fix your own site so you
> have some credibility!

You've apparently chosen to not hit every page so as to know what's possible,
or are just complaining about selected examples that may or may not have had
material touches in 10 or more years, and probably ignored the example
provided to provide the baseline. Besides wanting to preserve some of the
past as it was, I have more important things to do that redesigning old pages
that weren't actually designed in the first place, but mere accumulations of
information. c.f. http://shoemakerschildren.com/ and
http://fm.no-ip.com/Auth/Tmp/Smb/sambaorghome.html

> Robert LeBlanc
> Life Sciences & Undergraduate Education Computer Support
> Brigham Young University

Oh, and nothing on my site for me does or is intended to generate income.
It's all as time permits stuff, and I much prefer content over form when it
comes to information.

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/