[Samba] samba.org has been revised!

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Wed May 19 14:27:46 MDT 2010

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 04:20:58PM -0400, Felix Miata wrote:
> As usual, there has been no feedback from citing a mirror of my opinion by
> one of the few competent usability experts accessible to web researchers.
> http://www.useit.com/alertbox/designmistakes.html is not theoretics or
> opinion. It's a fact that too small fonts are rampant on the web.
>
> It's possible I might have had I seen an announcement here that an overhaul
> was planned, with lead time provided. In my experience doing so right after
> an overhaul is usually pointless.
>
> I've tried it before with other OSS projects, and with the W3 web site, and
> it's been mostly a big waste of time. Mandriva's, Novell's & Redhat's
> Bugzillas were exceptions in that improvements were made. Complaining to
> Mandriva right after helped, but only because patches were expressly invited
> that I found time to provide.
>
> I don't have plenty of time. Participating in several beta projects saps up a
> large part of my spare time, and that time consumption is compounded by the
> OSS websites that support them being hard to use. The other problem is that
> the weight of styling is usually so extensive that it's usually painful even
> to attempt to offer even small improvements.
>
> All that said, samba.org's CSS is relatively light, so I went ahead and
> roughed it out so people get the idea how it could be, and maybe someone with
> power to do so and time could take it further in actual application.
>
> http://fm.no-ip.com/Auth/Tmp/Smb/sambaorghome.html mainly also touches fonts,
> and works decently with default font sizes not far removed from standard. As
> default size is increased, the px-fixed widths begin crowding the content.

Wow that is a lot more readable.  The font on some parts of the current
samba.org are tiny and bolded and are very hard to read.  Yours is
much better.

> http://fm.no-ip.com/Auth/Tmp/Smb/sambaorghomee.html touches widths, but not
> any images, so background images aren't tailored to actual container widths,
> but it does emulate the http://fm.no-ip.com/Auth/Sites/Ksc/ resolution
> independence example provided earlier.

That has the Releases and Beyond Samba boxes rather misplaced from each
other for some reason.  Now very good looking.  Other bits may be a
bit improved.

--
Len Sorensen