[Samba] Samba + CUPS

Nick Couchman Nick.Couchman at seakr.com
Wed May 19 13:47:27 MDT 2010

I'm attempting to configure Samba with CUPS as a centralized print server.  I've done this in the past - my current production server is running Samba 3.2.14.  On my current production server, I have several users set up as either "admin users" or "print admin" users so that they can manage the drivers, etc., on the Samba server.  In setting up my new server, I'm running into some issues with this.  The main problem is that, no matter what options I change for the printers and print$ shares, and no matter what users I add in as either admin users or printer admin users, when I go to the properties of either a printer or the entire server, everything is read-only.  I cannot add/upload drivers to the server, etc.  I've even manually gone to the \\<servername>\print$ share and verified that I have write access to that folder.  But, for some reason, I cannot add drivers, change settings, etc., on the new server.  Differences are:
- Old Server: Gentoo; New Server: openSuSE 11.2
- Old Server: Samba 3.2.14; New Server: Samba 3.5.3
- Old Server: NT4 Domain Member; New Server: ADS Member

As far as the differences go, I've already verified that the same behavior occurs when the new server is part of the NT4 domain instead of the AD domain.  So, I'm really down to either something having changed in Samba versions sometime after 3.2, or something about how the packages are compiled.  Perhaps someone can help me figure out what I'm missing that's causing this behavior?  Find my smb.conf file below...

Thanks - Nick

[global]
        workgroup = MYDOMAIN
        passdb backend = tdbsam
        printing = cups
        printcap name = cups
        printcap cache time = 750
        cups options = raw
        map to guest = Never
        domain logons = No
        domain master = No
        security = domain
        admin users = @wheel
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        log level = 2
        wins server = 1.2.3.4 5.6.7.8

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/tmp
        printable = Yes
        create mask = 0600
        browseable = No

[print$]
        comment = Printer Drivers
        path = /var/lib/samba/drivers
        write list = @ntadmin @wheel root
        force group = wheel
        create mask = 0664
        directory mask = 0775

--------
This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient.  If this email is not intended for you, or you are not responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended recipient, please note that this message may contain SEAKR Engineering (SEAKR) Privileged/Proprietary Information.  In such a case, you are strictly prohibited from downloading, photocopying, distributing or otherwise using this message, its contents or attachments in any way.  If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this e-mail and delete the message from your mailbox.  Information contained in this message that does not relate to the business of SEAKR is neither endorsed by nor attributable to SEAKR.