[Samba] RE : RE : RE : Example of command ". / Setup / provision"

Viatte Frédéric Frederic.Viatte at rpn.ch
Tue May 18 09:51:15 MDT 2010

Sorry, I was wrong!

As I understood, I do this command:

--realm = SERVEUR-TPI.DOMAINE.CH --domain = SAMBA

Just the name of my server and the name of my NETBIOS has to have to be different ? It is good it?

Thank you
De : Michael Wood [esiotrot at gmail.com]
Date d'envoi : mardi 18 mai 2010 17:03
À : Viatte Frédéric
Cc : tms3 at tms3.com; samba at lists.samba.org
Objet : Re: [Samba] RE : RE : Example of command ". / Setup / provision"

2010/5/18 Viatte Frédéric <Frederic.Viatte at rpn.ch>:
> I do not understand, I will have a hostname and NetBIOS name different?
>
> So
>
> -- Domain = SAMBA
>
> it'll be my name NETBIOS, and
>
> -- Realm = TPI.DOMAINE.CH-SERVER
>
> will my machine name + my domain?

Let's say you have a web server called www.domaine.ch and a mail
server called mail.domaine.ch etc. and then you have a server called
serveur.tpi.domaine.ch and some workstations called
ws1.tpi.domaine.ch, wp2.tpi.domaine.ch etc., then I would do this:

setup/provision --realm=TPI.DOMAINE.CH --domain=TPI
--adminpass=xxxxxxxx --server-role='domain controller'

so your server name is not specified when you run provision.

Then you will have a DNS zone file for tpi.domaine.ch and it will
contain A records for:

serveur IN A 192.168.1.100
ws1 IN A 192.168.1.200
ws2 IN A 192.168.1.201

etc.

The zone for domaine.ch would have A records for www and mail and MX
records etc.   You might also have NS records pointing at
serveur.tpi.domaine.ch for the tpi subdomain:

@ IN MX 10 mail
www IN A aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd
mail IN A aaa.bbb.ccc.eee
tpi IN NS serveur.tpi.domaine.ch.

but this zone might be hosted by a completely different name server.

Then the workstations should use 192.168.1.100 as their primary DNS server.

--
Michael Wood <esiotrot at gmail.com>