[Samba] Samba & Alternate Data Streams

Marten Gajda marten.gajda at FernUni-Hagen.de
Mon May 17 17:25:52 MDT 2010

Am 18.05.2010 01:00, schrieb Jeremy Allison:
> On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 12:58:09AM +0200, Marten Gajda wrote:
>

>> They could be stored like regular files among the other files.
>>
> Then they're regular files, not alternate data streams. That
> makes no sense.

I guess that's exactly what they are in a "streams_depot", except that
they are stored in a different directory. Also, these file's names
always contain a ':' which makes them different as this is not allowed
in regular windows file names. So files with a ':' could be treated as
ADS if there is a file (or directory) with a matching "base name" (i.e.
the part before the first ':') in the same directory.
Of course this could break some existing shares which already have file
names containing a ':' . But (as far as my experience goes) file names
containing illegal characters get mangled to some cryptic string which
makes them pretty useless anyway.

regards

Marten