[Samba] Windows 7 64-bit drivers / cupsaddsmb

Ryan Suarez ryan.suarez at sheridanc.on.ca
Thu May 13 15:03:57 MDT 2010

Allison Jones wrote:
> My goal is to be able to print with 64-bit Windows 7 to a samba/cups
> server, with automatic printer driver download.  If cupsaddsmb is not
> the answer, what is?

We support 32bit and 64bit XP, Vista, and Windows7.  We upload drivers
from a windows client instead of using cupsaddsmb since we found this
method solved alot of printing issues when we were using cupsaddsmb:
http://samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/classicalprinting.html#id2627720

With this method there are a few options to support both 32 and 64bit
clients, based on how point and print works.

1. Upload a driver from the Windows 32bit client's local driver store.
When a 64bit client tries to connect, point and print does not find the
appropriate driver on the samba server.  Instead, it will attempt to
find and install an appropriate driver with the correct filename from
it's own local driver store or Windows Update.  This is our preferred
method since it's easier to manage.

2. For cases where drivers for a specific printer model is not available
in a clients local driver store then we upload both 32bit and 64bit
drivers to the samba queue.  First we upload 32bit then go into the
driver properties, into the 'Sharing' tab, and click on 'Additional
Drivers' to install 64bit drivers from a 64bit client.

Check out the Windows Point and Print Technical Overview for reference
http://bit.ly/cGpqn8

hope this helps,
Ryan