[Samba] winbind ubuntu 9.10 crashing machine

Jim Kusznir jkusznir at gmail.com
Thu May 13 11:12:14 MDT 2010

Am I the only one experiencing such breaking from winbind?  I'm
suspicious of whether it actually works at all, and if I can't get it
working better "real soon now", I'm going to have to ditch it all
together.  I really can't afford half of my cpu resources tied up in
logging messages, or my critical servers crashing once a week due to
winbind.  I can't believe something this bad would be turned out by
the samba team; their stuff is usually top notch.  Yet, I've followed
all the instructions on the webiste, I've tried a few different times,
I've reformatted and reinstalled my network a couple times, and I've
been seeking help, asking people to point out what I'm doing
wrong...and it still doesn't work.

Any more suggestions?  Anyone actually using winbind successfully?

--Jim